Maidenhead United continued their winless run and dropped to 17th in the table, as they lost 2-1 to Southend at York Road on Tuesday night. 
Alan Devonshire made 2 changes to the side who lost 3-1 at home to Oldham on Saturday. Casey Pettit slotted in at right back in place of Zico Asare, and Ashley Nathaniel-George dropped to the bench, replaced by Sam Barratt. 
The first chance of the game came in the opening 10 minutes via the visitors. Jack Bridge whipped a free kick into the box but Cardwell was unable to keep his header down. 
That duo would link up again for the Shrimpers minutes later, as Bridge ran down the left wing, cut onto his right foot and crossed to Cardwell but Craig Ross was able to push behind for a corner. 
Southend took the lead from the resulting corner, as Morton floated the ball in and Adam Crowther rose highest and his header nestled into the top left corner. 
Maidenhead had their first real chance just before the half hour mark, as Sam Barratt produced a long throw into the box, which was met by Kevin Lokko, but the centre back couldn’t steer his header on target. 
Southend had a great chance to double their lead not long after, as Bridge played a one-two with Fonguck before flashing a ball across goal, but nobody was there to poke home. 
Maidenhead would make Southend rue their missed chances, as in the 42nd minute Sam Barratt floated a free kick to the back post, where Kevin Lokko would once again win the header, and steer his effort into the top right corner. 
The Magpies came close to taking the lead on the stroke of half time. This time Charlee Adams would whip a free kick into the box, finding Will De Havilland, who headed just wide of the Southend goal. 
HALF TIME - Maidenhead United 1 - 1 Southend United 
Maidenhead looked to start the second half as they ended the first, and within the first 2 minutes Charlee Adams lined up for a shot from distance, but his effort was straight at Andeng-Ndi. 
Just before the hour mark, Southend would retake the lead. Danny Waldron capitalised on a defensive error, found himself one-on-one with Craig Ross, and placed his shot into the bottom left corner. 
The Shrimpers had a great chance to double their lead, as Jack Bridge picked up the ball in space on the left wing, cut onto his right foot and looked to curl the ball into the far corner, but his effort bounced off the crossbar and out of danger. 
Sam Barratt attempted to draw the Magpies level in impressive fashion as he looked to catch Andeng-Ndi off his line, but the winger failed to hit the target. 
Chanka Zimba was the next man to try and catch the Southend goalkeeper out, as he drove to the edge of the box before firing a powerful effort which was tipped behind for a corner. 
FULL TIME - Maidenhead United 1 - 2 Southend United 
Maidenhead United - Craig Ross, Sam Beckwith, Will De Havilland, Kevin Lokko, Kane Ferdinand, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson (Nathaniel-George 75’), Casey Pettit, Reece Smith, Chanka Zimba, Sam Barratt, Charlee Adams 
Southend United - Collin Andeng-Ndi, Adam Crowther, Ollie Kensdale, Jack Bridge, Noor Husin, Harry Cardwel (Sandat 76’)l, Danny Waldron (Dackers 76’), Cav Miley, Wes Fonguck (Wood 90’), James Morton, Jason Demetriou 
Tagged as: Club, Men
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings