Reece Brown summarised the action at York Road on the opening day. 
The points were shared at York Road on the opening day, as Maidenhead United and AFC Fylde played out an entertaining 2-2 draw. The Magpies looked to improve on survival on the final day last season, and Fylde looked to build on winning the National League North last season. 
The first chance of the game fell to The Magpies, as Remy Clerima’s cross was headed out to Kane Ferdinand whose half volley sailed over the bar. 
Just after the ten-minute mark, the hosts took the lead. Reece Smith nicked the ball off of the Fylde defender, drove into the box, and fired into the top left corner. 
It was almost a quickfire double for the Magpies, as McCoulsky picked up a loose ball outside the box but his effort deflected off the defender and went behind for a corner. 
The away side had their first chance of the game after 15 minutes, but Nick Haughton’s lobbed attempt was caught easily by Craig Ross. 
Maidenhead kept up their strong start and finally had their second of the game, as Fylde’s Emeka Obi headed a floated free-kick past Theo Richardson and into his own net. 
The away side finally had a chance to score as Obi connected well with Haughton's corner, but was denied by a great save by Craig Ross. 
Fylde got one back just after the half-hour mark, as Luke Conlans floated cross was headed across goal and into the far corner by an unmarked Nick Haughton. 
HALF TIME - Maidenhead United 2 - 1 AFC Fylde 
After a slow start to the second half, Maidenhead came close to restoring their two-goal lead on the hour mark. Ashley Nathaniel-George was played through but his shot deflected onto the crossbar. 
Fylde had a chance of their own shortly after, as Tom Ustabasi found himself wide open in the middle of the box but Craig Ross did excellently to save from close range. 
With 8 minutes left, AFC Fylde’s Connor Barrett received a straight red card for a dangerous challenge on Reece Smith, preventing a Maidenhead counterattack in the process. 
With seconds remaining in the 90, Fylde finally found an equaliser. Half-time substitute Alex Whitmore rose highest in the box and headed into the bottom right corner. 
Fylde came close to finding a winner in stoppage time, as Nick Haughton's long-range effort cannoned off the crossbar and off the line before being gathered by Craig Ross. 
FULL TIME - Maidenhead United 2 - 2 AFC Fylde 
Maidenhead United - Craig Ross, Zico Asare (Ekewa 90’), Sam Beckwith, Will De Havilland, Kevin Lokko, Ashley Nathaniel-George (Kinsella 89’), Shawn McCoulsky, Kane Ferdinand, Reece Smith, Remy Clerima (Keetch 63’), Charlee Adams. 
AFC Fylde - Theo Richardson, Luke Conlan, Harry Davis, Emeka Obi, Danny Philliskirk, Nick Haughton, Gold Omotayo (Ligendza 87’), Connor Barrett, Tom Ustabasi (Charman 64’), Danny Whitebread (Whitmore 46’), Pierce Bird. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings